“…but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you.” Jeremiah 7:23
As a reminder, this series is going through the warning signs of dementia found at this link: LINK
Today’s piece is a quickie because we all know what it looks like. Decreased or poor judgement in pre-dementia and early dementia most often manifests itself in being overconfident in one’s remaining faculties such that you are bilked from money or possessions. However, it can also overlap with some of the other warning signs and go all sorts of ways. Here are just a few:
- Over-sexualizing…flirting, or worse.
- Loss of filters- “That waitress sure is fat!” “Did you see that (racial slur)?”
- Good hygiene gains or loses value
- Over-confidence in activities that used to be automatic: driving, athletics, etc…
- Over-generosity even when it isn’t merited- Extremely large tips, donating to every charity they know…
- Paranoia that loved ones are stealing, while at the same time handing out money hand over fist.
- Poor bill management
- Impulsiveness and vacillation between topics or hobbies or the like without noticing
- Other judgement issues that affect daily living
- (Sources: Link Link )
These are hard and frustrating topics. We all have lapses in judgement, but these typically accelerate and go above and beyond normal mistakes. For lack of a better phrase, “You will know them when you see them.”, but be sure you address them before they get out of control because there are thousands of satanic scoundrels out there waiting to steal and cheat someone with dementia. If this rings a bell, talk to your doc! Today.
Update: Nothing new on mom. Mom had a lot of these lapses and this one was particularly hard to think about. 🙁
Dad Joke of the Day: Justice is a dish best served cold. If it were served warm it would be justwater.