Posted 2-1-21 (I love the symmetry of today’s date. I will do something today at 2:12 or perhaps 12:12!)
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, –Philippians 2:1
Not much to report today other that the fact that I am working on my June 19th (or 26th depending on when it is available) fundraiser to benefit both the Alzheimer’s Association and SeniorAge. This event will happen this summer on (or near) what is referred to as “The Longest Day”. (aka The summer solstice.)
Here is the beginning of the project and where a lot of info including the project donation link will be held:
Here are my initial plans:
- I will attempt to run the Frisco Highline trail. It extends 35-36 miles from Bolivar, Missouri to Springfield, Missouri along an old train track. That is approximately a marathon+ a 10k+ a 5k giver or take. 🙂 For some, 35+ miles is a tad “easier”. As you can see in my gallery below, I am not an athlete. I used to run back in the day, but as of a year ago I was over 360 pounds. I have been training for a couple of months now and have been on Weight Watchers since COVID started and have dropped 100 pounds, but I am still a robust 260ish.
- We are working on a relay team that will run the same trail in sections.
- There will be information stops and other info and swag to pass out at each trailhead.
- I hope to have live-streaming and get some coverage on local TV.
- I will finalize a website to allow for donations to either of these two fine organizations. If you donate through my Longest Day website above, 100% of those proceeds go to the Alzheimer’s Association.
- There will be a pledge drive and a sponsorship drive for the event. Details coming soon…
- A purple-themed water balloon fight at the end with purple drinks and popsicles are in order too…
- Fun will be had by all…even me as I slog through the 35 miles. Can I make it? Will I make it? That is the plan 🙂
What do you think, Digital Cornbread Community? Any ideas? Suggestions? Pitfalls I haven’t thought about? I want us to raise some money and get the word out that we will beat this disease and finally realize a world without dementia. Oh, and who know, maybe have some fun in the process. 🙂 I am running, walking, biking, stretching, and the like getting prepared. Would mom do this for me if roles were reversed? In the blink of an eye…
Update: Mom is still holding firm. She got over her wheezing and is still fighting harder than Mike Tyson. I sure miss seeing her…327 days will do that. 🙁